Student Discrimination/Harassment and Bullying/Intimidation Policy
Maryville Junior High School does not tolerate harassment or bullying. MMS has been fortunate to not have a serious problem with harassment or bullying. However, we do know it does occur. We must be aware of the situation in order to address or investigate possible harassment or bullying incidents. Discrimination / Harassment is defined as conduct, advances, gestures or words of any nature, which have any of the following effects:
(1) Unreasonably interferes with a student's work or educational opportunities; (2) Creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive learning environment;
(3) Implies that submission to such conduct is made an explicit or implicit term of continued enrollment;
(4) Implies that submission to or rejection of such conduct will be used as a basis for any decision affecting the discriminated/harassed student.
In compliance with TCA Sec. 49-6-1015, it is a violation for any student to bully, intimidate or create a hostile educational environment for another student. Bullying and intimidation are defined as:
(1) Either physically harming a student or damaging his/her property;
(2) Knowingly placing the student in reasonable fear of such creating a hostile educational environment
Student Responsibilities: I will not harass or bully other students. I will try to help students who are harassed or bullied. I will make it a point to include ALL students who are easily left out. When I know someone is being harassed or bullied, I will tell a teacher or an adult.
Staff Responsibilities: I will not tolerate harassment or bullying. I will intervene in incidents of harassment or bullying and strictly enforce rules against harassment and bullying. I will empower my students to report harassment or bullying behavior and to treat one another with respect. Anyone can report harassment or bullying to the guidance office by completing a Harassment Complaint Form. The incident will then be referred for guidance and/or administrative investigation. Consequences will be dependent upon the outcome of the harassment or bullying investigation. Consequences will include an educational and/or disciplinary action.
Thank you for your assistance in making MJHS a safe place for everyone! Please contact the Guidance office at 983-2070 with any questions you may have.